Church burglarized twice

02/15/2012 10:00 PM

No Comments - Add Your Comment

On the early morning of Feb. 10, a worker at a construction site on the property of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago, 65 E. Huron St., arrived to find that an unknown offender had gained entry to the site sometime during the previous evening and taken several items from the premise, including a laptop computer, a scanner, a printer and electrical clamp tester. The employee said that the items had been kept in an enclosed office and that the perpetrator had apparently pried open the door to the building.

At around 3:30 a.m. the next day, police got a call of a burglary alarm at the church. Upon arrival officers, were unable to gain access to the building upon arrival because of a locked security gate that surrounds the property. A maintenance manager for the church arrived later and opened the building.

As the worker was investigating the third floor of the building, he looked out of a window and spotted a man fleeing the premises who appeared to be carrying several large items in a bag and under a sheet. After realizing that he had been observed, the offender put down the goods and jumped over a fence, making his escape. Police recovered the items — a multimedia projector and a flat-screen TV which had apparently been taken from the a second floor office in the church.

While touring the building, officers and the maintenance worker found several other items which had been prepped for removal and discovered that the offender had tampered unsuccessfully with a large steel safe located in the treasurer’s office. It was believed that the man gained access to the church through a steel door in the basement.

Robbed by a cab driver

A North Chicago man told police that at around 1:00 a.m. on Feb. 12 he flagged down a cab on the 400 block of North LaSalle Drive with the intention of heading home. Once in the vehicle, the man, 23, saw that there were two men in the front seat, one of whom proceeded to point a gun at him and demand that he relinquish his wallet and cellphone.

The man handed over the items, at which point the suspect removed the battery from the phone and handed it back to him, before ordering him to get out of the taxi. The man exited onto the street, flagged down another cab and headed home, where he contacted police.

Foiled phone snatcher

On the afternoon of Feb. 9, a 41-year-old woman was sitting in a Starbucks coffee shop at 629 N. Wabash Ave. when a 14-year-old boy exited the washroom and grabbed an iPhone that she had left on the table as he passed.

The victim chased the boy out of the building but was unable to keep up, and police responding to flash call apprehended the boy at a nearby location. Back at the shop, the woman positively identified the boy as the same one who took her phone, and he was placed into custody.

Mugger takes victim’s shoes

A 37-year-old woman told police that while hailing a cab on the 300 block of West Chicago Avenue late at night she was approached by a men who put his hand on her back and said “Give me all you s***.”

The victim handed over a purse containing $120 in cash, at which point the man pushed her to the ground and told her remove her shoes. The woman complied, and after fleeing she flagged down a police officer was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital where she was treated for minor injuries. The incident occurred at around 4:00 a.m. on Feb. 11.

This summary contains information taken from the crime reports and arrest records of the 18th District of the Chicago Police Department. Anyone named has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not yet been adjudicated.

—Compiled by Ian Fullerton

No Comments - Add Your Comment